- Air Marshal Pradeep Padmakar Bapat VSM succeeds Air Marshal HN Bhagwat AVSM VM who retired on 31 October 2018. Air Marshal PP Bapat was commissioned in the Indian Air Force in the Administrative Branch on 28 May 1983. He was commissioned as a Fighter Controller. Earlier, he carried out the responsibilities of Director General (Works & Ceremonials). He was awarded 'Vishisht Seva Medal' by President of India in 2014.
- Cabinet approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Korea for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism. The objectives of the MoU is to expand bilateral cooperation in the tourism sector, encourage cooperation between tourism stakeholders including hotels and tour operators, increase the exchange of information and data related to tourism.
- S S Deswal, a 1984 batch IPS officer of Haryana cadre, has been appointed as the new Director General (DG) of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) for a period up to his superannuation on August 31, 2021. He succeeded R K Pachnanda. Prior to this post, Deswal was the DG of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). The ITBP was raised on 24 October 1962 under the CRPF Act, in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962. It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India. Apart from its primary task of guarding the 3,488-km India-China border, where ITBP troops are deployed at freezing heights of up to 18,700 feet, the paramilitary force is tasked with rendering a variety of duties in the internal security domain, including undertaking anti-Naxal operations in Chhattisgarh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the 'Statue of Unity' in Narmada district of Gujarat on the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. Sardar Patel - who served as the first Home Minister of independent India - is credited with uniting all 562 princely states in pre-independent India to build the Republic of India. That is why it is called the 'Statue Of Unity'. It is the world's tallest statue, with a height of 182m. It located around 3.5 km downstream from the Sardar Sarovar Dam, on islet Sadhu Bet on the bed of the river Narmada. The statue was designed by 93-year-old acclaimed sculptor Ram V. Sutar, who is Padma Bhushan awardee. It is built by Larsen & Toubro Ltd at a cost of Rs. 2,989 crore. . The viewing gallery at the height of 135 metres can accommodate up to 200 people at a time.
- Noted Malayalam writer M Mukundan has been selected for 2018 Ezhuthachan Puraskaram, the highest literacy prize of the Kerala government. The award, which carries a cash prize of Rs five lakh and citation, is being given for his overall contributions to the language and literature. His popular works inlcude 'Mayyazhippuzhayude Theerangalil', 'Kesavante Vilapangal', 'Delhi Gadhakal', 'Appam Chudunna Kunkiyamma' and 'Lesli Achante Kadangal'.