- India and Sri Lanka signed an MoU to provide modern infrastructural facilities to Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies of Eastern University in Batticaloa district of Sri Lanka. The project involves refurbishment of the auditorium and construction of a modern building complex with recording cum editing facilities and supply vehicles to the institute through a grant of over 27 crore Sri Lankan rupees from the Government of India.
- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas Convention at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. For the first time, the three day long convention is being organized in Varanasi from 21-23 January, 2019. The theme of PBD Convention 2019 is "Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India".
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched a series of projects as a part of the Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor in Tiruchirppalli.This is considered to be the second corridor succeeding the one launched in Aligarh,Uttar Pradesh. This is considered to be the mega corridor that would link the remaining miltary manufacturing units present in South India,it Is tuned at the cost of 3038cr. The Tamil Nadu corridor has six nodes at Trichy, Salem, Hosur, Kovai, Madurai and Chennai. It is expected to be a specialised facility hub in aero component manufacturing. Sitharaman also launched the "CODISSIA Defence Innovation and Incubation Centre" to support the MSMEs, start-ups and existing industries in their endeavour to expand and contribute significantly for defence indigenisation.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research announced that the Centre for Advanced Materials of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) chose Eminent Scientist and Bharat Ratna recipient CNR Rao for the first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research. The Award containing a plaque, a medal and a Cash Prize of USD 100000 will be presented by Sheikh Saud to Professor CNR Rao. CNR Rao was awarded the highest Civilian award, Bharat Ratna in 2014 and presently he is working as the Honorary President of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research.
- The Tamil Nadu government roll out 'Startup & Innovation policy 2018-2023' with a mission of providing an enabling and innovative ecosystem for startups registered in the State and to make Tamil Nadu a 'Global Innovation hub for startups' by 2023. The mission shall aim for a minimum of 1,00,000 high skilled job creation, direct and indirect, in the Startup ecosystem. For implementing the policy, the State will set up Tamil Nadu Startup Fund with a corpus of Rs 250 crore. The fund will be invested in other SEBI registered Alternative Investment Funds for investment in startups and MSMEs established in Tamil Nadu.
- India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference had begun in Mumbai. The three-day event organized by the Ministry of Steel helped chart out the future growth path of the steel industry. The event provided an opportunity for all the stakeholders to deliberate and identify ways to contribute towards building a robust roadmap for the further growth of the steel sector. More than 10 thousand business visitors both from India and abroad are expected to visit.
- Himachal Pradesh MP Anurag Thakur has been bestowed with Sansad Ratna Award for his distinguished performance as a parliamentarian under Jury Committee Special Award category. Thakur became the first BJP MP to receive the Jury Committee award. 12 parliamentarians were honored with the Sansad Ratna award, which was set up in 2010 on the suggestion of ex-President APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products will be held in Goa from January 23, 2019. 20 countries will participate in the event. This forum will strengthen regulatory framework worldwide, to assure that the users of Homoeopathy could have wider access to quality-assured homeopathic medicines.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs on January 20, 2019 announced that Aadhaar Cards are now valid travel documents for Indians under 15 and over 65 years travelling to Nepal and Bhutan. However, Indians belonging to the age bracket of 15 to 65 years will not be able to use Aadhaar to travel to the two neighbouring countries.
- Odisha's Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced in a video conference on "Ama Gaon, Ama Bikash" a hike of Rs 200 per month in the social security pension under Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY). The state government launched Madhu Babu Pension Yojana on January 1, 2008, by merging two pension schemes - Old Age Pension and Odisha Disability Pension schemes. According to the new change,the elderly persons aged over 60 years would get a revised old age pension of Rs 500 per month as against Rs 300 and those who are more than 80 years old, the pension would be Rs 700 per month instead of Rs 500 per month and the enhanced pension will come into effect from February 15, 2019.