- The Polavaram irrigation project in Andhra Pradesh created two Guinness world records for 'pouring the highest amount of concrete' and 'largest continuous concrete pour in 24 hours'. The Polavaram irrigation project is located in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. The project has entered the Guinness World Records for pouring 32,100 cubic meters of concrete non-stop in 24 hours. The total storage capacity of the water reservoir is 120,000 million cubic feet (TMC). The current record is held by a Dubai-based contracting group which poured 21,580 cu m of concrete in about 35 hours.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu unveiled various welfare scheme for the marginalized and economically backward Brahmins through AP Brahmin Welfare Corporation such as distribution of Cars to the Unemployed Brahmin youths, loans and subsidies. Brahmin youths who had undergone training as drivers were given Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire for the first time. 30 cars were distributed on 4th January to the Brahmin youths. Youth bore 10% of the total on-road cost the diesel run cars. Government has started at least half dozen schemes for Brahmins and around 10000 poor Brahmins have been given loans and subsidies. Andhra Pradesh is the first state of the country which has established a Brahmin Corporation which aims to help poor people of Brahmin families by providing financial assistance for education, coaching, entrepreneurship, skill development and welfare and culture.
- The HRD ministry has introduced a 70-point grading index to assess the quality of school education offered by states. A state performance grading will be done wherein the states will be marked out of 1,000 scores on 70 parameters. HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar stated that it will give the correct picture of where every state stands. There will be a fair competition to improve each other's performances.
- Civil Aviation Security head and senior IPS officer Kumar Rajesh Chandra was appointed as the director general of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).Chandra, a 1985-batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre, is at present the director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS). He has been appointed as SSB DG up to December 31, 2021.
- The global software major's Infosys Science Foundation awarded its 10th Infosys Prize 2018 to six eminent professors for winning across different categories of science and research at an awards ceremony in Bengaluru. The Infosys annual award includes a pure gold medal, a citation and a tax-free prize purse worth $100,000 (or its equivalent in Indian rupees). The winners were selected by a six-member jury of renowned scientists and professors, namely Kaushik Basu, Pradeep Khosla, Shrinivas Kulkarni, Amartya Sen, Mriganka Sur, and Srinivasa Varadhan from 244 nominations received in six categories.
- Maharashtra Government announced distribution of free sops to encourage farmers to enrol in the Atal Solar Krishi Pump Yojana. The things included: two LED bulbs, a DC fan and a mobile charging socket.
- The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has recently approved the establishment of a Centre for Classical Language at the Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University in Tirur, Kerala. The Ministry has communicated the decision to the Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysuru. In view of this, the State government would be required to prepare a detailed project report and sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry. The aim of the proposed centre is to study and research and other aspects of Malayalam language & will prove beneficial in implementing various projects for Malayalam language development. The centre would also assist the Malayalam University in its various initiatives.
- Vice-Chairman of Rajya Sabha, Harivansh Narayan Singh launched Manohar Manoj`s book 'A Crusade Against Corruption' at the Press Club of India in New Delhi.
- The fourth edition of the Raisina Dialogue has begun in New Delhi. Norway Prime Minister Ms. Erna Solberg delivered inaugural address in presence of PM Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. The theme of the Dialogue this year is "A World Reorder: New Geometries; Fluid Partnerships; Uncertain Outcomes". Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with Observer Research Foundation has organized the flagship annual geopolitical and geostrategic conference.