This post contains important current affairs (National, International, Business and Sports) of October 29 2018.
- The World Trade Organisation's (WTO) panel is to examine the India-U.S. export case.
- WTO's dispute settlement body has set up a panel to examine the U.S.' complaint against certain export-subsidy measures by India as both the sides failed to resolve the issue at the consultation level.
- Earlier 2018, the U.S. dragged India to WTO over export subsidies, saying that these incentives were harming the American firms. The U.S. has requested for the establishment of a dispute panel to examine the allegations on India's export incentive measures.
- The U.S. also challenged India's export subsidy programmes such as Merchandise Exports from India Scheme in the WTO, asserting that these initiatives harm its companies by creating an uneven playing field.
- Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Gas Transportation Infrastructure Ltd. has won oil regulator Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board's (PNGRB) approval for selling its loss-making east-west natural gas pipeline to Canadian investor Brookfield.
- A decade back Brookfield built a 1,400-km pipeline from Kakinada to Bharuch to transport natural gas discovered in a KG basin block operated by Reliance Industries.
- The pipeline has a capacity to transport 80 million standard cubic metres per day of natural gas and is currently operating at less than 5% of its capacity as output from KG-D6 block of RIL.
- An MOU was signed by Tayek Talom, Director of Higher and Technical Education of Arunachal Pradesh and Alan Gemmell, Director of British Council India, on the sidelines of the Tawang Festival. This agreement hopefully will connect the the youth of Arunachal Pradesh to international expertise and ideas.
- The India Cements Ltd. (ICL), a leading cement manufacturer, has signed a deal for the acquisition of Springway Mining Private Limited.
- The share acquisition is to happen in a phased manner. The transaction involves a total consideration of Rs.82.89 crore. Springway Springway, which is incorporated in 2010, has a paid-up capital of Rs.20 crore.
- It is engaged mainly in the mining and quarrying business. ICL had acquired it with an idea to set up a cement plant in Madhya Pradesh. ICL is planning a clinker grinding unit in East Nimar district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Meghalaya launched the flagship scheme "Blue Revolution: Integrated Development and Management of Fisheries". For this, the Central Government has sanctioned 51 crore rupees to enable self-sufficiency in fish production.
- Indian railways announced the world's highest railway line that will run along the India-China border. The rail line will have a highest road point of 5,360 metres above mean sea level. The estimated cost to build this 465 km-line will be Rs 83,360 crore. It will consist of 74 tunnels, 124 major bridges and 396 minor bridges and 30 stations.
- Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, Delhi, India is set to commence commercial use of semi-robotic tow trucks. The Taxibots are launched by TaxiBot India. It will be the first airport in the country to use such TaxiBots. It aimed to help airlines reduce the use of air turbine fuel during taxiing
- Michael D Higgins has been re-elected as the President of Ireland after receiving 56 percent of the country's votes in the elections. Businessman Peter Casey came second with 23.1 per cent votes.
- Mr. Higgins, who has served as the country's head of state since 2011, will now keep the top job for another seven years.
- Mr. Higgins is the first incumbent in 50 years to face a challenge in the bid for a second term.
- Researchers at the University of Michigan in the United States, have developed a web-based tool to monitor fake news on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- The tool uses a Platform Health Metric called the Iffy Quotient, which draws data from 2 external entities: NewsWhip and Media Bias/Fact Checker. NewsWhip is a social media engagement tracking firm.
- It collects URLs on various sites every day and then gathers information on which sites have engagements on Facebook and Twitter.
- Miss Paraguay Clara Sosa won the Miss Grand International 2018 title at the 6th edition of the beauty pageant in Yangon, Myanmar.
- Clara Sosa succeeds Miss Grand International 2017 Maria Jose Lora of Peru. India's, FBB Colors Femina Miss Grand India 2018 Meenakshi Chaudhary was named 1st runner-up
- World number one Simona Halep has become the first recipient of the Chris Evert Women's Tennis Association (WTA) World No.1 Trophy, named after WTA's first-ever world number one, Chris Evert.
- Indian table tennis player Ayhika Mukherjee has won a silver medal in the under-21 women's singles category of the ITTF Challenge Belgium Open.
- She lost to Korea's Youjin Kim in the final. In the semifinals, Ayhika had defeated Hong Kong's Chengzhu Zhu to enter the finals.
- 2018 Senior World Wrestling Championships, was held in Budapest, Hungary.
- It was the 15th edition of World Wrestling Championships of combined events.
- A 30-member Indian team led by Olympic medalist Sakshi Malik and Asian Games gold medalist Bajrang Punia represented India.
- Jagminder Singh was the chief coach of freestyle team and Kuldeep Malik was in charge of women's squad.
- India won 2 medals: 1 bronze medal and 1 silver medal. India's 24-year-old Pooja Dhanda from Haryana defeated Grace Jacob Bhullen of Norway 10-7 and won bronze medal in the 57kg category.
- Indian golfer Khalin Joshi clinched the Panasonic Open India title at the Delhi Golf Club. With this win, Joshi became the seventh Indian to win the Panasonic Open India title in the last eight editions of the tournament. It was also his maiden Asian Tour title.
This "Daily Current Affairs" course of Vidyaguide is trusted by thousands of students preparing for various aptitude and entrance exams that feature a General Knowledge section.
Easily the most preferred preparation material for students and aspirants for the following:
MBA entrance exams like IIFT, TISS and SNAP which feature a General Knowledge Section.
Banking exams such as IBPS Bank PO and Bank Clerk Exams, SBI PO Exams, RBI Competitive Exam, IBPS RRB and SO exams
UPSC Competitive Exams such as the CSAT exam
SSC Exams such as SSC CGL and SSC CHSL
- L.I.C and other Insurance Exams
- Railway Recruitment Exams
We strongly recommend that you should take our daily quizzes on current affairs.
← Older Post
Newer Post →